A Scottish Parliamentary election will take place on Thursday 6 May 2021.
There are two Scottish Parliamentary constituencies within the Angus Council local authority boundary area:
- Angus North & Mearns
- Angus South
Angus is also part of the Scottish Parliament Region of North East Scotland
There are two Scottish Parliamentary constituencies within the Perth and Kinross local authority boundary area:
- Perthshire North
- Perthshire South & Kinross-shire
Perth and Kinross is also part of the Scottish Parliament Region of Mid-Scotland and Fife.
Who can Vote:
You can vote in this election if you’re registered to vote and are:
- A registered elector aged 16 or over on 6 May 2021
- A qualifying British, Irish or Commonwealth citizen
- A qualifying citizen of the European Union
- A qualifying foreign citizen who has permission to stay in the UK, or who does not need such permission
- A convicted prisoner normally resident in Scotland and serving a combined sentence of 12 months or less anywhere in the UK
- A Member of the House of Lords
The following cannot vote in a local government by-election:
- Electors aged under 16 years old on polling day
- Peers of the Realm who are registered as living overseas
- British citizens registered as Overseas electors
- Convicted persons detained for a period of more than 12 months in pursuance of their sentences, excluding contempt of court (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)
- Anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election
If your name is not on the register, you will not be able to vote.
The last date to apply to be registered to vote for Scottish Parliamentary elections is Monday 19 April 2021
Voting in Person:
Polling Stations will be open from 7am to 10pm on 6 May and will be following all public health advice with appropriate hygiene and physical distancing measures in place.
In the current circumstances, particularly the COVID pandemic, you may be thinking about voting by post.
The last day to apply for a new postal vote, or to change an existing postal or postal proxy vote for this election is 5pm on Tuesday 6 April 2021, but applications should be made at the earliest opportunity.
For electors in Angus, visit https://www.tayside-vjb.gov.uk/postal-vote-angus/ for more information on how to apply for a postal vote.
For electors in Perth & Kinross, visit https://www.tayside-vjb.gov.uk/postal-vote-perth/ for more information on how to apply for a postal vote.
Voting by Appointing a Proxy
The deadline to apply for a new proxy vote for this election is 5pm on Tuesday 27 April 2021
After 5pm on Tuesday 27 April 2021 an Emergency Proxy may be appointed but only in the following circumstances:
- In the case of a disability (whether a medical condition, illness or otherwise) arising after the deadline for ordinary proxy applications
- • If a person’s disability meant that they were unable, perhaps due to being unconscious or otherwise unable to communicate instructions in relation to apply for a proxy before the deadline for an ordinary proxy application; they may apply for an emergency proxy.
- If the person is a mental health patient detained under civil powers (i.e. those who are not detained offenders)
- If a person’s occupation, service or employment means that they cannot go to the polling station in person and they became aware of this fact after the deadline for ordinary proxy applications
- If a person becomes detained in a penal institution (to serve a sentence of 12 months or less)
- If a person cannot reasonably attend the polling station as a result of following Scottish Government advice or the advice of a registered medical practitioner in relation to coronavirus and they became aware of this fact after the deadline for ordinary proxy applications
If your appointed proxy cannot attend the polling station following Scottish Government advice or the advice of a registered medical practitioner in relation to coronavirus then you must appoint a new proxy by 5pm on Thursday 6 May 2021.
You can visit http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/voting-person-post-or-proxy/voting-post to download any application forms.
If you require any information please visit https://www.tayside-vjb.gov.uk/electoral-registration/
If you require any further assistance please contact the Electoral Registration Officer for Angus at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01307 499910, or contact the Electoral Registration Officer for Perth & Kinross at email@example.com or call 01738 630303.