What can I do if I disagree with the information about my property in the Valuation Roll?

Firstly, talk to the Assessor’s staff. They will explain the background information used to prepare the valuation, and the source of the names and other information which is shown.

If I still disagree, can I appeal against the value?

Only in certain circumstances. If you have acquired the property within the last six months, or the valuation has been changed by the Assessor within that period, you will have the right to appeal. If something has happened to the property, or to its surroundings, which you consider affects the value (what the law describes as a ‘material change of circumstances’) you may have the right to appeal.

Apart from these circumstances, you may appeal only at the time of a general revaluation of property. Such revaluations take place periodically. The most recent revaluation came into force on 1st April 2017.

How do I lodge an appeal?

By writing to the Assessor. You can also lodge an appeal directly with your local Assessor on-line from the Scottish Assessors’ Association Website at www.saa.gov.uk. The Assessor will acknowledge your appeal, and arrange for one of his staff to discuss it with you. If you subsequently accept the valuation of your property, you may withdraw the appeal. If you and the Assessor cannot agree on what your value ought to be, the appeal will be referred to the┬áValuation Appeal Committee..