A UK Parliamentary election is due to be held on Thursday 12 December 2019. At a UK Parliamentary election registered voters in every area of the country vote for a Member of Parliament (MP) to represent their constituency in the House of Commons. There are 650 constituencies in the UK, 59 of which are in Scotland. The counting of the votes cast for the UK Parliamentary Election will take place immediately after the close of poll on Thursday 12 December 2019.
To vote at the UK general election you must be registered to vote and:
- 18 years of age or over on polling day
- be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen
- be resident at an address in the UK (or a UK citizen living abroad who has been registered to vote in the UK in the last 15 years)
- not be legally excluded from voting
The following cannot vote in a UK Parliament election:.
- members of the House of Lords
- anyone other than British, Irish and qualifying Commonwealth citizens
- convicted persons detained in pursuance of their sentences, excluding contempt of court (though remand prisoners, unconvicted prisoners and civil prisoners can vote if they are on the electoral register)
- anyone found guilty within the previous five years of corrupt or illegal practices in connection with an election
Postal and proxy voting
The last day to apply for a new postal or postal proxy vote, or to change or cancel an existing postal or proxy vote for the UK Parliamentary elections is 5pm on Tuesday 26 November 2019.
The last day to apply for a new proxy vote is 5pm on Wednesday 4 December 2019. To apply for a proxy vote, you have to complete a form and give a reason why you can’t get to your polling station in person.
For any elector applying for a postal vote between 15 November 2019 and the deadline of 5pm on Tuesday 26 November 2019, their postal votes will be dispatched on the 2/3 December 2019./p>
To find out more or download either postal vote or proxy vote application please visit www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter
If you require any further assistance please contact the Electoral Registration Officer for
- Angus on 01307 499910
- Perth & Kinross on 01738 630303